Tuesday, May 27, 2014
Here are some phrases that I think could really help in your everyday language. It is not a complete list thus will be updated constantly.
1. U ya kwihi? = Where are you going?
2. U vuya kwihi? = Where are you coming from?
3. Ndzi kombela mati. = May I please have some water?
4. Hi wena mani vito? = What's your name?
5. U wa ka mani xivongo? = What is your surname?
6. Ndza kha ndza vuya. = I'm coming back soon.
7. Ndza kha ndza ta. = I'm coming.
8. U le kwihi? = Where are you?
9. A wu ri kwihi? = Where were you?
10. Ndza ku rhandza. = I love you.
11. U na mani? = Who are you with?
12. U ndzi fonela. = Call me.
13. Hi ya kaya. = We're going home.
14. Xikolo xi humile. = School is out.
15. Xikolo xi nghenile. = School is in.
16. Ndzi le xikolweni. = I'm in school.
17. U tshama kwihi? = Where do you stay?
18. U nghena kwihi? = Where are you studying?
19. U tirha kwihi? = Where do you work?
20. Va pfukile kaya? = Are they well at home?
21. Va kona mhani kaya? = Is your/our/my mother at home?
22. Ndzi ta vuya mundzuku. = I'll come back tomorrow.
23. Ndzi twa torha. = I'm thirsty.
24. Ndzi twa ndlala. = I'm hungry.
25. Ndzi xurhile. = I'm fool.
26. Ndzi twa vurhongo. = I feel sleepy.
27. U etlela kahle. = Sleep well.
28. Ku njhani? = How are you?
29. Avuxeni. = Good morning.
30. Hi ta vonana. = We shall see each other.
31. Ndzi hlangane na Voni. = I bumped into Voni.
32. Ndza vabya. = I'm sick.
33. Ndzi twa ku vava. = I feel pain.
34. Famba xava xinkwa. = Go buy some bread.
35. A ndzi tivi! = I don't know.
36. Wa n'wi tiva Bantsi? = Do you know Bantsi?
37. Ndzi lomba movie? = May I please borrow a movie?
38. U na boyfriend? = Do you (or does she) have a boyfriend?
39. Ti vuya kwihi namuntlha? = Where is it happening today (or tonight)?
40. Ndzi pfukile. = I'm fine/ I'm up.
41. U hundza u ndzi teka. = Pick me up on your way.
42. I nkarhi muni? = What time is it?
43. Mi vuya na guxe aGiyani. = Bring us some guxe from Giyani.
44. Hi maxaka. = We're related.
45. Hi kona a fika. = S/he has just arrived.
46. Ndza ku byela! = I tell you!
47. A ndzi hembi. = I'm not lying.
48. Ka titimela. = It's cold.
49. Ka hisa. = It's hot.
50. Ku na mpfula. = It's raining.
51. U nga hoxeteli bekarha hi marhibye. = Don't hit a bakery with stones. (Don't bite the hands that feed you.)
52. Sweswi. = Now.
53. Hayi sweswi. = Not now.
54. Ndzi tele hi wena boss! = I like your style boss! (Slang)
55. A ndzi xi bayi. = I don't buy it. (Slang)
56. A wu ndzi tati. = You don't scare me/ I don't like your style. (Slang)
57. Kumbe wa ala? = Or are you refusing? (Slang)
58. A ndzi ali. = I'm not refusing.
59. A ndzi tshembi. = I don't believe it.
60. I kule! = It's far!
61. Tana. = Come.
62. Loyi i Makhandeni. = This is Makhandeni.
63. Ndzi tsaka ku mi (ku) tiva. = It's a pleasure to meet you.
64. Ndzi hetile. = I'm done.
65. Swi herile. = It's done.
66. Va te yini? = What did they say?
67. Ndzi karhele. = I'm tired.
68. Maths wa tika (ba). = Math is hard.
69. Ndzi pasile. = I passed.
70. Xichangana i Xilungu. = Shangaan is (like) English.
71. Ka n'we. = Once.
72. Ka mbirhi. = Twice.
73. Swinene. = Very much.
74. Ngopfu. = Very much.
75. Swintsongo. = A little.
76. Hi mina. = It's me.
77. I mani? = Who is it?
78. Nghena. = Come (go) in.
79. Humela handle. = Go (come) outside.
80. Ku sweka. = To cook.
81. Ndzi le ku dyeni. = I'm eating.
82. Vuyani. = Welcome back/ Please come back.
83. Vaxumi. = (Greeting to somebody who's working.)
84. Ndzi ta ta. = I'll come.
85. A ku tsakisa kerekeni. = Church was enjoyable.
86. Namuntlha. = Today.
87. Tolo. = Yesterday. (Tolweni. = Day before yesterday.)
88. Mundzuku. = Tomorrow. (Mundlwani. = Day after tomorrow.)
89. Mina. = Me/I.
90. Vona. = Them.
91. Hina. = Us.
92. Wena. = You.
93. U nga rivali. = Do not forget.
Hi M.K. Baloyi
Founder, First Online Tsonga Dictionary
All rights reserved.